Monday, September 11, 2017

Kailash Satyarthi Speech on the Vivekananda Rock memorial



Dear friends, the sun rises every day, but today's sun rise is different. Today the sun rose to dispel the darkness of fear, hopelessness, child sexual abuse and trafficking
My dear children of India, sisters, brothers and all dignitaries present, let us march together, let us march for safety of children, let us assemble for righteousness. Let us flag off the Bharat Yatra.


Every day the waves of the ocean, the sun, the trees of Kanniyakumari, all assemble here to pray for India. Today the waves of the ocean are marching with us to free India from child sexual abuse, exploitation and trafficking. We are not ready to accept, children are raped. We refuse to accept India as a country where children are abused.
Children are not safe in schools, at home, at the playgrounds. India is a land of saints and saviours. Those who are marching for the children, represent these saviours and I hope you take the same pledge.
This is the war for making India safe. 'Asothama satgamaya, thamasoma jyotir gamaya' (from ignorance, lead me to truth; from darkness lead me to light). This march is a march from darkness to light, from fear to freedom, from shame to holding your heads up towards dignity.
If even one child is in danger, India is in danger. I resolve today to make India safe. Young marchers, we are waging war against exploitation of children and you are the warriors and every step you take will be written about in gold letters.



Kanniyakumari is a very important place for us, because the inspiration for many of us, Swami Vivekananda, though he wasn’t born here, we are in the shadow of the rock.
Your voice is the voice of the thousands of parents who have suffered, your voice is for those victims who have gone through trauma. Let us march from silence to sound. Let us March.


Pledge
I pledge – to make India safe for children from sexual abuse and rape.
I pledge to stop all violence against children, including child labour, child marriage and all forms of trafficking
I pledge to oppose use of children for any forms of violence
I pledge to raise my voice and report whenever I see any abuse or any form of violence against children.
I pledge to join this war against rape and to make India safe-for children

No comments:

Post a Comment